Hot foils can be applied to a wide variety of substrates ranging from paper and card, to book cloth and Baladek, stationery or labels. We can trial proof any material for you. As with everything though, some substrates, laminates, varnishes and inks are not recommended for foiling. If in any doubt please contact us.
Here are our top tips:
- Foiling areas must be wax free with a surface tension of 38 dynes per square cm or above, although we may be able to work with a lower dyne level
- Allow at least 25mm from grip/lay edge to foil area
- Up to SRA3 put the grip edge at the top of the sheet and lay to the right edge or tail and left
- Above SRA3 the lay edge to be the left edge
- Do not reverse out foil blocking areas to assist with registration
- It is not yet possible to foil onto spot UV varnish
- If sealing use an aqueous rather than solvent based sealant
We are always available to discuss jobs, produce proofs or trial foil blocking onto any surface or coating.
Please contact your nearest Blockfoil office if you have any further questions about foil blocking. They’ll always be willing to help out.